Dear Shmitten Kitten,
I gotta tell you, it's a bad, bad question on so many levels. It's a set-up. Learn some better dating skills and ask better questions!As an aside, I don't ask every date this question. I usually only broach it when there's been a lull in conversation and I can't think of anything else to ask. However, I have to disagree with you here. I can glean a lot about his response:
What difference does it make what kind of girls he "normally dates"? It has nothing to do with you and your date with him. Who cares about the others? Don't you want him to think about YOU? Why are you prompting him to think about the other girls and compare them to you??? Leave them out of your dates!
Here's some advice from a happily married woman who happily dated tons of guys before deciding it was time to be with just one:
1. The better the question, the better the answer!
2. On dates I let the guy focus on me, on him, and us, and our time together. I didn't solicit thoughts about other women on our dates. Two people on one date is enough thankyouverymuch. Why would you ask a guy to think about other women when he's on a date with you?
1. If he likes me, he will answer without hesitation, "I love tall, busty, smart brunettes." Guess what? I'M A TALL, BUSTY, SMART BRUNETTE! If he says this, I will slide my chair closer to his and will smile both inside and out that I'm someone that he could see himself with. It's awesome because he's let me know that I'm his type, he feels comfortable with me and that I have a shot with him. Well played, fella.
2. He will let me know that I'm not usually the kind of girl he dates. He will answer, "I go for all kinds of girls." He didn't use his answer to reassure me that I'm his type so it tips me off that maybe I should be on guard with him a little. Whatever.
3. He will tell me he likes crazy girls. I KNEW something was off about him, and this answer confirms that I'd be wasting my time if I tried to take it further. Do not pass go, do not collect my $200.
4. He will tell me, "I usually go for short, mousy blondes." Guess what, I'm not a short, mousy blonde! You know this because you read my first point. This guy probably won't be prepared for all the attention we'll get by going out. I'm a tall girl with big boobs; people tend to stare sometimes. Not every guy can hang with that.
See what I mean? There's a lot of information I get from his answer. I'm not asking for the names and addresses of his last 20 hookups, I'm just trying to get a sense where his head is at. Sheesh. What do you guys think?